Golden chance for Poland back to back win at Euros. In another face off of group C, Germany and Poland will be playing against each other today at Stade de France. Germany open their campaign with a 2-0 win against Ukraine but their performance was far from the perfect. Die Mannschaft took an early lead through Shkodran Mustafi’s fierce header, wobbled a bit before half-time, but lose control in the second half. When Ukraine hardly found any opportunities but find Manuel Neuer and Jerome Boateng stood in their way.
Germany’s victory over Ukraine is their eighth win in their last ten games at Euros, losing only 2008 final and the 2012 semi-final. Low is believed to be considering the team which started against the Ukraine match. If centre-back Mats Hummels fits again then Mustafi would be the man to make way.
Golden chance for Poland back to back win at Euros
Poland registered their first victory at the European Championship finals, it came against Northern Ireland and also recorded their first clean sheet in the competition. Poland dominated the game from the first whistle, penning Northern Ireland back with the goal of Arkadiusz Milik.
Poland has several reasons to feel they can cause an upset against Germany. Firstly, the team beat Die Mannschaft 2-0 in Warsaw in qualifying, thus registered their ever victory against the World Cup winners. They also second finished behind Germany in qualifying.
Speedy winger Kamil Grosicki who made only a substitute appearance against NI will be in contention for a starting spot, although his replacement youngster Bartosz Kapustka did well in his absence. Their goalkeeper Wojciech Szczesny has suffered a thigh injury, but he will replace by Lukasz Fabianski who had a good season with Swansea.
- After 18-matches, Poland registered their first victory ever against Germany when they defeated them 2-0 in Warsaw in Euro 2016 qualifying.
- Poland has never defeated Germany in four meetings with the Germans at major tournament finals and kept clean sheets in all four games.
- Germany has kept eight clean sheets in their last 12 games against Poland.
- Out of last 10 games at the Euro, Germany has won eight. Those two defeats came against Spain in 2008 and in the semi-final versus Italy in 2012.
- In 2008, they failed to win the European Championship when they lost 1-0 against Spain in the final.
- They have also scored at least one goal in each of their last 14 games at major tournaments.
- Midfielder Mesut Ozil has registered eight assists more than any other player in the World Cup and European Championship since 2010 (four in each.
- In six games at the European Championship, Striker Thomas Muller hasn’t scored or assisted a single goal. He has scored 10 goals and six assists in 13 World Cup games.
- Poland has the chance to back-to-back games for the first time having a triumph over Northern Ireland in their first game.
- At Euros, Poland has never scored more than one goal in any game they played till now.
- Against Germany Robert Lewandowski is one of the successful players of this side has scored in two of his three appearances for Poland.
- In last three-goal of Poland at the Euros, Jakub Blaszczykowski has been directly involved in scoring one goal and two assists.
Forwards: Mario Goetze, Mario Gomez, Andre Schuerrle, Lukas Podolski
Defenders: Jerome Boateng, Mats Hummels, Benedikt Hoewedes, Emre Can, Jonas Hector, Shkodran Mustafi, Antonio Ruediger
Goalkeepers: Marc-Andre ter Stegen, Bernd Leno, Manuel Neuer
Midfielders: Julian Draxler, Thomas Mueller, Joshua Kimmich, Sami Khedira, Julian Weigl, Toni Kroos, Mesut Ozil, Leroy Sane, Bastian Schweinsteiger
Goalkeepers: Wojciech Szczęsny, Łukasz Fabiański, Artur Boruc
Defenders: Kamil Glik, Thiago Cionek, Artur Jędrzejczyk, Łukasz Piszczek, Michał Pazdan, Bartosz Salamon, Jakub Wawrzyniak
Midfielders: Kamil Grosicki, Jakub Błaszczykowski, Tomasz Jodłowiec, Grzegorz Krychowiak, Bartosz Kapustka, Karol Linetty, Sławomir Peszko, Krzysztof Mączyński,Filip Starzyński, Piotr Zieliński
Forwards: Robert Lewandowski, Arkadiusz Milik, Mariusz Stępiński